Thursday, December 15, 2016

Rutgers 83 Missouri 73 (Overtime)






Note how far fewer regular season college games were played at the "Garden," compared to the Palestra - interesting that we got to play there twice.  Also note upper left the Midtown Motor Inn where we stated during the NIT.



Passaic Herald News - December 16, 1966






Democrat Chronicle (Rochester) - December 16, 1966


Lincoln Star (Nebraska) - December 16, 1966 - The "Greek" rates headlines in Nebraska


Poughkeepsie Journal - December 16, 1966 - Jim finally gets some respect from the media.

An Internet search for newspaper articles about the Missouri game produced almost 200 hits, an illustration as how important Madison Square Garden was to college basketball at the time. Newspapers throughout the country picked up wire service accounts of the game.

Sometimes, however, the final word comes from a source, more private and personal, but no less important. The following is the text of a letter sent by Ron Reisler, Rutgers Class of 1965 to Coach Foster from a military hospital in Vietnam a few days after the Missouri game.  It was posted on the bulletin board in the Rutgers locker room and a photo copy of the letter is in the Rutgers University archives.

"Dear Coach Foster," 

Unbeknownst to you, I graduated with the Class of 1965.  It was only then that some of us began to appreciate what you were doing for Rutgers - and her basketball fortunes.  This afternoon I had the opportunity of listening to RU's outstanding victory, of great individual and team play, over the University of Missouri.

I had been admitted to the hospital earlier in the week with dysentery, but the team's wonderful victory made me feel 100% better and you can be sure that my pride was noticed by everyone in sight.  I want to extend my best wishes to you and the team over the holiday season and the remainder of the competitive season.

I hope to be home on leave during the post season tournaments, and though I live in Illinois, you can bet I'll be where the action is.

Thanks from all of us who are here.

Ronald A. Resiler,
1st Lieutenant"

2 comments:

  1. I think Rocco, Jim's Dad actually wrote the headline that Jimmy came through in the clutch! However, it was definitely true that all Jim talked about before the game was how much he had looked forward to playing in the Garden his whole life. I had to hear about every time Rocco or Nick took him to a game.
    First I knew about the letter from Ron Resiler. Maybe my memory's getting bad (just ask Kay for a confirmation on that), but getting to read it now is one of the great things about John's blog. Thanks again John. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach Foster put the letter up on the bulletin board in the locker room, I read it and never forgot it, although I didn't remember the writer or the exact content. I was really pleased to find a photo copy in the Rutgers archives. I actually found Ron Reisler on Facebook, but he doesn't seem to be accepting friend requests. Glad you are enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete